Director, Career &
693-0668 ext. 2025
The Oregon School District offers every student a unique opportunity by providing a comprehensive education. Along with their regular academics, students may choose from many career paths, without leaving the school district. These career pathways allow for skilled employment immediately out of high school to all areas of post-secondary education, including apprenticeship and Associate through Baccalaureate and Masters Degrees.
Ohio law states that every student MUST have access to Career-Technical Education. It may be provided by bussing to a Career Center / Joint Vocational School District (JVSD), or by providing programs in a local comprehensive setting.
In 1975, the Oregon community voted to build an addition on the campus of Clay High School in order to provide career and technical education to any student without traveling outside their home community. Today we have 11 programs in 8 career fields with over 50% of our juniors and seniors taking advantage of our comprehensive offerings. Most are taking advantage of the college credit offered while attending Career Technical programs at Clay High School. The complete list of programs is listed below with links for further information.
Rigor, Relevance and Relationships are the guidelines for career technical programs.
Rigorous academics are expected from ALL Clay High School students. Career & Technical programs follow the Ohio Core. Four credits each in Math & Language Arts, and three in Science are expected in Career & Technical Program schedules.
All Career & Technical Programs are relevant to the industry today and poised for the future. Clay students have the opportunity to earn credentials for the industry in their selected programs which are expected by employers.
Relationships are created between local businesses and our programs through active advisory committees and student placement in cooperating employer locations.
Career-Technical Education has been and continues to be a great investment for the Oregon City Schools
Click on the links below to view the Fact Sheet or High School Course Map which provides detailed information about each program.
Career Tech =Tech Prep = College Prep!
In addition to a quality education for all students, Oregon taxpayers and students benefit from our comprehensive system:
- Taxpayers do NOT pay the 3.2 mills for Career-Technical education at the closest Career Center.
- Students at Clay High School may participate in ALL extra curricular activities during the day as well as after school.
- Tax payers do not pay for additional bus transportation to get students to the local Career Center
- Students learn to work with and get along with other students pursuing a wide variety of career goals.
- Advanced Academics (Honors /Advanced Placement) are available to all students, not just the traditional college prep students.
- Many Career-Technical students take advantage of Honors and AP academic options.
- As a service to the community, adult education is provided at no impact on the general fund. All adult programs are self-sustaining, through tuition, grants and contracts.
- Students learn customer service skills in all Career-Technical programs. These programs are Agricultural & Environmental Science, Automotive Technologies, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Engineering Design & Development, Visual Communications, Industrial Controls & Electrical, Medical Technologies, Integrated Machining & Engineering, Programming and Computer Simulations, Hospitality Services and Marketing.
- Young people continue to enjoy personnel relationships with friends and teachers that may be disrupted if they are required to be bused to another district.
- Area employer’s gain well-trained employees.
- Students gain college credit at no cost to the parents!