Q: HYBRID DETAILS - When is the first day back to school?
- August 20 for Green, August 21 for Gold
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - Which hybrid model are we starting the year with?
- Hybrid A
- Clay HS, Fassett JH, Eisenhower Student hours: 7:50am to 2:35pm
- Coy, Jerusalem, Starr Elem. Student hours: 9:05am to 3:35pm
- Students in Grades K-12 will be divided into two groups based on their last name. All efforts will be made to keep siblings and those students who live in the same house together.
- GREEN group (last name A-K) GOLD group (last name L-Z)
- Planned Schedule:
- GREEN will attend school on Monday & Thursday, Remote on Tuesday & Friday
- GOLD will attend school on Tuesday & Friday, Remote on Monday & Thursday
- ALL students will be home on Wednesdays (expectations for this day TBD)
- **Specific Special Education Programs may go four (4) days per week
- **Preschool Special Education Programs may follow traditional (4) days per week
- First three (3) days :
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - No students (possible device distribution)
- Thursday, August 20, 2020 - GREEN will attend
- Friday, August 21, 2020 - GOLD will attend
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - Do you feel there will be a good chance we will eventually go full time virtual based on what data you're seeing now?Q: HYBRID DETAILS - If my students name begins with S when is her first actual day of school? According to the regular schedule, she should start on a Wednesday. But the hybrid model says her days will be Tuesdays and Fridays.
- The determining factor will be how many counties enter into purple. If Lucas county enters purple, then we may go fully remote.
- She will start on Friday, August 21, then attend on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - How will the school calendar that was originally issued be meshed into this hybrid with items such as but not limited to winter break, spring break, open house, 2 hour delays, etc.?
- The only change to the calendar will be students starting on August 20 instead of August 19. Breaks and delays will remain the same. However, Open Houses are cancelled.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - What happens to the group that will miss Mondays due to holidays and in-service teacher work days. Will those days be made up?
- We are exploring options.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - Will parents be provided with total enrollment numbers for the hybrid model for each building before the start of school?
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - Why did we choose the M/TH and T/F split for students?
- Once we have final classroom numbers, we can provide this information.
- OCS leadership had a lot of discussion on how to divide students. Our leadership team felt strongly that if we were going to go hybrid, then we need to see students at different points in the week. This was a curricular decision. This schedule allows for a more consistent instructional cycle and opportunity for timely feedback to students, supporting academic growth. This schedule reduces the time between direct teacher/student contact. We know student engagement increases when there is regular contact between our teachers and the students.
- We are very confident our daily cleaning will be equally effective with different groups coming in on consecutive days as two days in a row. Our plan is to have the buildings and classrooms disinfected everyday in the same manner, regardless of which students are in the building. Working with our staff, collectively we will maintain a safe environment.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - Why only 2 days a week in class?
- OCS made the decision that students of all ages deserved the same safety measures across the district. Classrooms will be able to social distance appropriately with smaller groups consistently throughout the district.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - The restart outline has been posted, stating 2 days in-class and 3 days online. Is there an option for completely online, if we do not want to to send our child back to in-class?
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - If we register for hybrid, does that mean my children has to go to school the 2 days ? My spouse has a weak immune system.
- Yes. If you choose to register Hybrid, students will attend 2 days at school, 3 days at home. Parents have option of hybrid (2 days/3 days) or OCS Digital Academy (fully remote).
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - If a student enrolls for the hybrid model, but then realizes that this is not the right fit, can that student then enroll in the online option?
- Yes. Students can opt into the OCS Digital Academy at any time. Although withdrawal from in-school model is discouraged until end of quarter/semester for continuity.
Q: HYBRID DETAILS - I'm not comfortable sending my kids to school just yet. However, I'm not sold on the digital academy due to it being completely self-directed. If the district plans to utilize the in-school curriculum when kids are self-isolating or when school is closed due to rising cases, why not offer it to kids who opt to stay out of the schools until conditions improve?
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - How will the day look on the day they are remote learning from home? Sign in and out for each class? Attendance in every class? Bathroom breaks?
- OCS does not have the personnel for teacher led in-person school and teacher led remote learning. Tutoring may be offered based on feedback and evaluation of the program.
- When home - work at own pace and complete assignments. No plans to sign in or out each day. Attendance will only be taken when required to be at school. Self paced at home, so bathroom breaks anytime.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - On the remote learning days, are the students to be online during the actual times of the class or will it be like the spring where they are on their own schedule & do assignments when they want?
- Students will work independently with assignments on remote days.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - Will my student have video conferencing into the classroom on their remote days at home? Or Will the teacher be teaching the same thing to each group?
- No. Teachers will be teaching to two groups of students, so teachers will not be readily accessible to the remote students on demand during school hours.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - Will there be actual classes daily for the students to attend on Google Meet or Zoom so they keep a school routine? Also, so they don't lose valuable learning from teaching themselves?
- Students will have contact with teacher when they are physically in school. The three remote days will be completing activities and lessons independently.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - During online days will my student be expected to be engaged online during "normal" school hours or can we school whenever fits our schedule? Can we skip Weds & Friday and do work Sat & Sun instead?
- Students will have flexibility when and where they complete work. Students will not be required to complete school work during typical school hours on off days.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - When students are on the Hybrid/remote schedules on the days they are home will those days be classroom instruction via zoom, blue button (schoololgy) or Google classroom?
- No, but assignments most likely will be provided to students in Schoology and Google classroom. Zoom instruction may occur on occasion on Wednesdays.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - Is there an option of utilizing Zoom for remote learning days that are classroom specific? For instance, is it possible that each teacher has a classroom ID that the students would sign into at the start of the "regular" class time where the teacher could have "class" remotely? And if that is not an option, how will remote days work? Will they be required to "logon" in the morning or is it just work as we see fit?
- Currently this is not an option when kids are not in school. We will be exploring this option as the year progresses.
Q: AT-HOME DAYS - Will parents be expected to teach their children new curriculum on the remote learning days? Is the district taking into consideration that a lot of parents have full time jobs?
- OCS understands how impactful this type of education is to families. Parents will play a significant role monitoring and assisting their children on days students are not in school.
Q: WEDNESDAYS - What will be required of teachers and of students on Wednesday, when there are not students at school?
Q: MISCELLANEOUS - How long should email turn around be for questions for a teacher/ or additional instruction if needed on the Hybrid plan?
- This day will be a flexible day for teachers and programs. The day will be used for teacher office hours, virtual lessons, training, and extensive planning. Teachers will communicate student expectation for Wednesdays and all off days.