Oregon City Schools (OCS) is a leader in school safety. The district "Health and Safety" committee meets annually to evaluate our safety stratiegies and procedures with sub-committees meeting monthly to ensure on-going safety of our students and staff. The district committee is made up of individuals from the Oregon Police Department, School Resource Officers, Oregon Fire Department, Jerusalem Fire Department, Lucas County Sherriffs Department, University of Toledo, Lucas County Prosecutor's Office, OCS adminsitration, OCS nurse, other local agencies, and local community members with safety expertise.
Emergency Tip Hotline and Email
The tip hotline or email should be used by anyone who wants to make OCS officials aware of potential threat or rumor of such threat by an individual to OCS students or employees. These contacts do not take the place of 911 or the local police. Always call the police with knowlegde of a crime or intent of a crime.
Current Safety and Health initiatives
- Upgraded cameras and camera systems in all school buildings
- Upgraded speaker systems in various schools buildings
- Cameras installed on all school buses
- Integrated phone and speaker systems in all school buildings
- Mobile phone system allowing direct voice access to each school building speaker system for instant communication from anywhere to schools
- Emergency buttons installed in each school building for instant initiation of school lockdown or weather emergency procedures
- Bullet resistent film installed in each building entry way for additional protection in case of intruder
- ALICE concepts taught to students and staff for the past 7 years
- Nurses employed at each school dealing with the increased medical needs of our students
- Mercy Health Center at OCS opened doors in November of 2014 servicing pediatic students and local community children.
- Evacuation agreements signed with local churches and business in case of full school evacuations
- OCS is an active part of the Davis Besse Emergency Plan
- Annual drug searches with area police dogs keeping our schools drug free
Student Safety and Parent Communication
The Oregon City School district considers the safety and well being of their students and staff of the utmost importance. Our District regularly coordinates with our local emergency management officials and law officials to monitor and update plans of actions for incidents which could impact our schools. Our district has well-established security measures in all our buildings. These include: Visitor check-in procedures, locked door after the start of the school day, surveillance cameras, and school resource officer support.
In the event of a disruption in the school day the following means of communication may be used depending on the severity of the incident to contact parents:
- Email/Text Messaging-Please make sure to keep your contact information updated when re-registering your student. Please be sure to opt in for the text messaging process. Please contact the building secretary with updates after the yearly re-registration process.
- Posted message on school website
- Letter sent home
- Phone message
- Press Release-Local Media
Posting requirement on Bullying Incidents